I am on a bit of a Named Clothing spurt at the minute, the combination of winning 3 of their patterns and their new book means that I have lots to chose from and for a European pattern company, the patterns fit me surprisingly well and aside for my usual FBA, they are brilliant to work with.
I decided the make the Helmi, which is one of the patterns I chose when I won a prize in the Indie Pattern Month last year! I have seen quite a few people make it and it looked like a reliable and wearable tunic. With this in mind, I bought this fabric from SeaSalt fabrics in the sale. I have to say that I was so disappointed with this fabric, considering their fabrics are quite expensive, the weave is really loose, it catches very easily, (it was a nightmare to unpick), the drape isn’t brilliant and it just doesn’t feel very substantial. I think if I would have paid full price for this, I would have been very disappointed.
Anyway, I’d already got excited and cut it so this is where I was at. I chose the make the long tunic option, omitting the fussy sleeves and full collar, as they usually feel too dressy. I completed an FBA and went ahead and cut the fabric. I had to cut the back piece in two pieces due to fabric limitations but that doesn’t really bother me.
The pattern comes with a hidden button placket, I have never completed one of these before and I am so proud of it. I sat and looked at that for a few days! Then I inserted my sleeves, trying out a method of inserting set-in sleeves on the flat, which worked a treated. I then insrted the collar, I don’t feel like this is my best work, it seemed a bit narrow and I think if I make this again I would either go with the full collar or extend the pattern piece a little. The skirt is easy to run up and then you just attached the bodice and skirt. There are no darts or gathering, which gives quite a lose and casual feel. I usually try to accenuate my waist a little so this was a bit outside of my comfort zone, but I still like it. I think when I make it again I would attach some little ties or maybe even add some darts at the waist and the top of the skirt.
Anyway, overall, I’m please with my make, I hope the fabric lasts as I can see it becoming a quick-to-throw-on item!