The Christine Haynes Varda dress/top pattern had me persuaded to buy it because it has some magnificent pictures of the different versions people have made. I saw them on instagram and I was hooked. I already have the Ultimate Shift Dress pattern and use it regularly as you will see here and here but they had a sale and I had to have it.
I mentioned on my first vlog that I intended to make it as a top with this lovely light blue linen that the lovely Simona over at Adventures in the Attick sent me. It was probably about a metre and I knew I wouldn’t get the sleeves out of it so I used the cap sleeve pattern which come with the Ultimate Shift Dress and made them instead.
It’s another super reliable and quick pattern. It has more shape the the Sew Over It pattern as it has really deep side darts and darts in the back so I think the Varda could quickly replace it as a go to shift pattern. I sometimes feel I needed a bit more shape with it and often found I wore belts with the dress so I think this will offer more shape for me.
I got the the zip insertion and decided to use a patterned Zip (I don’t know the of official name of it!) on impulse which is exposed. I love the effect this has on an otherwise simple shift top (I think I have issues keeping the things I make plain!)
I’m really happy with it, especially the sleeves which end up lined so it has a really nice finish. I followed the same steps as with the Rebecca Page Riviera Blouse which I have made twice and used a bias binding to encase the raw edge and give a neat finish, which is pretty hard to photograph!
I wore it with RTW white jeans from Marks and Spencers and a statement necklace. I felt like it gave me a really relaxed and chilled look. You will note I have still not got my act together and made my own trousers or jeans yet!
I will definitely use this pattern again and intend the make the dress version next, maybe in black as I think that would make a great wardrobe staple.