You know that feeling when you have something in you mind that you really want and then you get it?! That is exactly what happened to me with this one. I saw Liberty’s Dragonista fabric on sale at £9.99 per metre at Abakhan before Christmas and didn’t buy it straight away! It turned out to be a BIG mistake because it sold out. Since then I’ve been searching for it everywhere, not quite willing to pay lots for it but wanting it REALLY BADLY. Then… Imagine my joy, reader, when it came back on Sale again! Hooray!
I got some straight away and determined not to let it sit in my stash I decided to make a top with it straight away. I pictured a relaxed button back blouse with three quarter sleeves and a good fit. I wanted it pretty simple to show off the fabric. In the end I decided on a little bit of a hack of the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress, which I am a little bit addicted too!
I added an inch and a half on to each of the back pieces so I could make a placket. I cut a piece of interfacing for each side and did a double fold to make the button placket and sewed the rest up as usual. I did the whole thing with a french seam so I am more than happy to show off the insides!
The fabric was a dream to work with, I can see why people rave about Tana Lawn.
Instead of the facing, I used a blue bias binding and then, because I had just ordered a mechanism for poppers, I decided to use blue poppers all the way down the back instead of buttons, which I think look quite cool and it meant it was quicker too!
When I tried it on I was so chuffed.. it was exactly what I imagined, which is the best feeling EVER and it is just what I need in my attempts to make more separates. I absolutely love it and I’m so glad that this amazing fabric has been used in this way. I have a tiny bit left over too so I’ll have to get thinking how I can use it!