The Katie Dress is Pattern number Four of the Cotton and Chalk Collection from Simply Sewing Magazine. I have also made patterns One, Two and Three. I have found them all really easy to use, though sometimes a little on the roomy side.
As the pattern suggests using a Ponte Roma for this dress, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity for me to try using this fabric so I bought some in black with really cool paint stroke style pattern on it called Serene Reeds from The Textile Centre.
The fabric was so easy to sew because it doesn’t fray at all, it is a bit bulky where the seams meet, like on the shoulders, but otherwise it sews up so easily. I stuck with the facings (don’t think this is becoming a thing because I top-stitched it anyway!) but it makes the shape of the neckline better. You put the facings on the front panel and add the rest once the bodice is constructed, a bit strange a first but it looks neat and it’s worked!
I constructed the rest easily. The bodice and skirt seams matched up really well, which means I did it all right, thank goodness! I tried it on before I inserted the zip and realised that not only was it roomy, as I expected, but that it would go on easily without a zip. So I took an inch off each side and simply stitched straight up the back seam- easy peasy! As the fabric has stretch, it pulls on easily.
I’m really happy with the shape, I have ready to wear items which are very similar in shape and I feel like it really suits my body shape. I resisted the urge to wear a belt but I think I probably will in future.
I would like to pretend I wore it somewhere interesting but this has slotted right in to my work wardrobe, especially good as in a bid to be less boring in my fashion, I have inadvertently set myself a new years resolution to wear less plain grey and black at work, something which I’m actually sticking with somehow!