This dress has allowed me to try lots of new techniques in one make, (hooray!) As a result this post is a bit of a long one but let me show you how it worked out. The dress is New Look K 6723 using the boat neck line. I’ve made it in a beautiful ivory and pink floral, rayon dress fabric. I’ve tried a few new techniques in this one and I’m really proud of the final result.
Firstly, this has a lined bodice, the pattern comes with instructions but I also used this tutorial from Dreaming of Avonlea as a point of reference. It is all about lining the bodice, it looks super neat.
As I cut the pattern I duplicated the front, side panels in this really cool leaf lace from Abakhan and tacked the two pieces together before sewing the pattern together as normal. The lace had a bit more stretch than the fabric and is difficult to sew but lots of pins seemed to do the trick and the basting was crucial. I’m really pleased with this. I feel it adds a bit extra to the dress, which is what me-made is all about!
I was inspired by all the pretty lace dresses, like this bridesmaid dress by Jacques Vert. I was literally in drooling lace heaven having a look at some of these. So I attempted to subtly recreate it. Now I know I can do it, I also want to try to insert lace at the top, like this black one by Whistles.
Anyway, thirdly, in my new technique task, I inserted a 3/4 length sleeve. This was my first attempt at attaching a pre-sewn set sleeve. I say first attempt, what I mean is that it is the first attempt that actually worked. I stumbled here a bit though because the dress has a boat neck line; I struggled to see whether the sleeves were badly fitted of whether the neck line was just wide. It turns out it wasn’t badly fitted at all so I was right to carry on and go with my instincts (Another hooray moment!)
I wanted to try adding buttons instead of a zip at the back. I’ve never actually sewn multiple button-holes before, so I figured I’d be best making a separate placket in case it went wrong, which I did by measuring the length and using the tie pattern for the width. I did some practice buttons and then measured enough spaces and went for it. Then I marked my buttons on the other placket and sewed them in place and it has actually worked and looks really neat. I love it and I’m so pleased that my first buttons are a success!!
I then french seamed the skirt pieces together, gathered it and attached it to the bodice, because the bodice was lined it meant I had two pieces to match up so this part was a little tricky, I’ll have to research ways to do this more easily (any ideas?)
I made the tie for round the dress, which I overstitched. The tie was no where near long enough to tie round me so I added some Velcro instead so I could fasten it. I also added some small belt hoops to the front to keep it in place.
I think this covers all the construction of this dress. I think it’s really pretty, I just need a wedding or something to go to now… I maybe need to master making things that are seasonally appropriate rather than just because I feel like it, I was a tiny bit chilly doing my photos!
I have to acknowledge my lovely hubby for the photo taking (he loves it and doesn’t get sick of me prancing about at all!) and my ever patient mother-in-law for finding me nice places in her garden to pose!!